Our trip to Cape Canaveral to watch the space shuttle launch on mission STS125 is busted. Just trying to get too much crammed into too little time and to be honest, I was not nearly as excited to drive 12 hours each way within 7 days as I was to possibly see my first Shuttle launch.
The primary goal was to meet our dear friends Donna and Bill, from the UK, down there but their visit to the US was just not going to be long enough to comfortably do that and be with her mother on mother’s day. The launch got moved up a day which would force them to miss Mother’s day altogether and even at that, no one really knows exactly when of the three possible launch windows on 5/11, 5/12 and 5/13 it would actually go up. It might even get postponed until 5/22 and the odds of missing it completely were just too much of a gamble for the costs.
But, Merrily already had made plans to take the week off so, off we go to a closer beach, Wilmington, NC. The Wilmington KOA will not quite be the mosquito coast of east Florida but we do have our own varieties and its only 3 hours away. Did I mention how much I was not looking forward to that 12 hour drive down to Florida?
So, we will squat in Wilmington and Donna and Bill will come there for a few days after Mother’s day and we will still have a great time…. we always do. Besides some really great seafood restaurants and a particularly good German restaurant down in the Cotton Exchange on the river, there is the USS North Carolina Battleship Memorial,
Fort Fisher Aquarium (Newly renovated) and beaches, beaches, beaches.'
But I digress… At the moment, I am flooded with last minute gotta-do items (in no particular order, as they say):
- Clifford has a few potentially trip spoiling problems:
- Throttle position sensor Error codes in the computer
- Fuel temperature sensor error codes
- a drive tire that loses a lot of air in a short period of days
- a very out of round drive tire, too
- The Smart car rack has still not been added to Clifford so Merrily will probably have to drive it down, alone.
- 2 tires on DakotR need to get slow (probably bead) leaks fixed
- Everything in here is piled with cast-offs from getting our paperwork from inside the house that we will need on the road, organized and filed in the cabinets.
- Katie is due for another Bromide level check
- Appointment with my urologist on the state of my kidney stones (When I take long drives and particularly when I swim in the surf any newly formed ones in certain parts of the kidneys tend to turn into “rolling stones” and that is a real buzz-kill for a vacation.
- All of the loose gear, like the computer, monitor, hard drives, table, chairs, etc. needs to be anchored. Since we reorganized the layout and eliminated the sofa and coffee table, we have not traveled off the jacks so I need to get it all stowed and do a test pull.
- Send a Mother’s day card to my Mom
- Get propane
- Get special food and meds for Katie for while we are gone.
- get refills ordered for my own meds for next week (everything seems to always run out at the same “wrong” time.)
- clean the gunk out of DakotR’s gutters… one more time. (Frankly, I think that more stuff falls out of southern trees in the spring than in the fall.)
- order anode rods for the hot water heater.
- order some new shoes exactly like what I wear all the time (if I can find them anywhere, now).
Maybe the last 3 items are not absolutely gotta-do items before we go but I am sure there are more items than on this list.
But, this is the master list for now and all must be dealt with before we leave on Sunday for the beach….. and just yesterday, fulltiming seemed so close!
Has anyone out there seen my mind?… I seem to have misplaced it!
and… OH YEAH!!!!!:
- PUT DOWN TV and SATTELLITE DISH!!!!!!!!!!!!