Today Merrily finished the truck driving class and SHE NAILED IT!!!!!!! It took 8 weeks of 10 hour days but she never missed a day of class.
She set several benchmarks.
- Oldest woman ever to finish the class
- Only woman of the 6 originals, to actually finish and pass the class. The rest were in their 20s and 30s.
- Only woman to take all of her final tests right after having survived a direct hit by a tornado! (ok, so maybe this is more of a Guinness book kind of thing… but it is definitely unique.
- She did excellent on all of the written tests
- She says, “backing a trailer is a guy thing because none of us girls could back worth a darn!”
- She passed yesterday’s forward obstacle course, the Coupling/uncoupling and written regulations tests with no errors!
- She managed to hang in there while 20 of the 43 original students failed the class prior to today. That, alone, puts her in the top half of the class.
- Today was the 100 question final written exam and she only missed 3.
- Today was also her last road test, which she passed with no problem.
- She came in exhausted but elated at 1:00 PM and we ate lunch. Afterwards, she read for a bit and then said, “I am going to take a nap…. just because I can.” … She was always gone to school by 6:40am and was not out of class most days before 6pm.. do the math.. she was never home during “napping” time.
- I love her immensely and forever. God has blessed me almost more than I can bear.
- Now the fun begins for real.
For the past 60 years, Merrily has been and always will be the key to my life.
Merrily, I love you, forever.